Welcome to Conservation Sudbury
Who Are We?
Conservation Sudbury (Nickel District Conservation) is one of Ontario's 36 community based, watershed stewardship agencies. Our main goal is to ensure healthy interaction between the watersheds, the natural environment and the local economy. Our area of jurisdiction includes the watersheds of the Wanapitei, Vermilion and Whitefish Rivers. We provide important conservation services primarily within the City of Greater Sudbury in a total watershed area of approximately 9,150 square kilometres.
Forces of Change
We operate based on specific principles:
- Changing climate impacts are real;
- Partnering, collaborating and sharing expertise is essential;
- Technology is forcing organizations to provide real time service delivery;
- Green spaces, clean water, a healthy environment attract and keep citizens in the area; and
- Maintaining a healthy natural environment improves the health and well-being of all watershed residents.
Managing Our Watersheds Today - For Tomorrow
Our watersheds are made up of communities:
- places where we live,
- gather and play.
We have a responsibility to help the residents in our watershed communities. To do that, we must consider how changes in our landscapes impact our watershed ecosystems and communities.
Since 1973, when Conservation Sudbury (Nickel District Conservation) was established, the well-being of present and future generations has always been front and centre.
Conservation Sudbury (Nickel District Conservation) responsibilities include:
- flood control,
- hazard land management,
- environmental education,
- drinking water source protection,
- watershed stewardship and much more.
With the looming impacts of our changing climate, Conservation Sudbury (Nickel District Conservation) must ready the community for the inevitable impacts on our water systems, water resources and land based resources valued by all the communities in our watersheds.
We are committed to ensuring that our watersheds will continue to be resilient and sustainable in the face of change and emerging issues.